Join a team at the cutting edge of technology for the future of high-speed travel! You’ll work in an interdisciplinary team to build a hyperloop pod and gain international exposure by competing in the annual SpaceX Hyperloop Competition.
Student Projects Snapshot
About the ChallENG Student Project
UNSW Hyperloop is a group of students aspiring to establish themselves as Australia’s front runner in hyperloop technology. UNSW Hyperloop was founded at the end of 2018 to innovate the future of high-speed travel.
As conceptualised by Elon Musk, the technology explores the potential for pressurised pod vehicles moving through vacuum tubes to travel at speeds twice that of a plane with the added benefit of lower fuel consumption and increased safety. Recently, the team travelled to California to compete in the SpaceX Hyperloop Pod Competition, where they placed 7th out of 21 teams and over 2,000 global university entrants.
The team was also the most successful newcomer to the competition. UNSW Hyperloop also was the first to complete a self-propelled test run at a first appearance at the competition and received the signature of Elon Musk on the pod!
Who we are looking for
- Self-motivated students with a passion for transport and space
- Students in all faculties and degrees
- Students interested in the technical side of things for the structures, electrical, dynamics and software teams
- Students interested in the business side of things for the marketing and sponsorships teams
Why you should join
- The opportunity to contribute to the future of high-speed travel
- Cultivate independence and confidence in your skills and abilities way beyond the boundaries of your degree
- Develop new technical and interpersonal skills that will benefit your work in the project and career
- Understand the breadth of how a company operates by working closely with members from all of UNSW Hyperloop’s operations
- Learn how to work in a multidisciplinary team working towards a shared goal
- Apply the skills you learn in the classroom to real-life situations with real-world stakes
- Gain global opportunities to learn, such as competing in SpaceX’s Hyperloop Pod Competition
- Create industry contacts who are fascinated in your work in UNSW Hyperloop’s project
- Establish friendships for life, as you overcome challenges and achieve your goals as a team
“Through UNSW Hyperloop, I was able to build on and gain brand new skills to aid the design and manufacturing of a high-speed pod for the SpaceX Hyperloop Pod Competition. The opportunity to be amongst engineers from all over the world who are passionate about innovating the future of transport was incredibly inspiring.”
- Yasmin Zaman