Design and build the next generation solar-powered car. Be part of the Sunswift team who is revolutionising the way we travel!
Sunswift project is now full. Please apply for the Wait List
About ChallENG Student Project
The UNSW solar racing team, Sunswift, is Australia's top solar car team. We combine innovative research with hands-on skills to create clean energy transport solutions. To prove the feasibility of our technology, we design and build solar-powered cars to race in the biennial Bridgestone World Solar Challenge – a 3,000km race from Darwin to Adelaide competing against universities from all around the world. Since its formation, Sunswift has produced six solar cars and has established a world-class reputation for fast-tracking careers, winning prizes and breaking world records. Recently, the team set a Guinness World Record for the lowest energy consumption while driving across Australia in an electric car.
NOTE: From 2020, Student Project,Sunswift will be structured as a Vertically Integrated Project team!
Who we are looking for
- Enthusiastic students with strong initiative and are passionate to drive change
- Mechanical, electrical, renewable energy, and photovoltaics engineering students
- Computer science, commerce, arts, and industrial design students
Why you should join
- In 2020, Sunswift will be driving the research fields that enable us to design and build the next-generation solar electric car
- You will be directly contributing to advancing critical research areas that will provide the world with sustainable, efficient and eco-friendly transportation
- You’ll get the chance to compete in the World Solar Challenge against teams from all over the world, driving through the deserts of Australia.
- There are many challenges involved in building and racing solar cars, which require real-world problem-solving skills and a strong work ethic at an individual and team level
- As world record breakers, our team is famous in Australia and has a strong international profile
- It’s great for expanding your CV. Sunswift experience is proven to vastly improve career opportunities
- Make life-long friends and join an incredible network of Sunswift alumni
All engineering degrees are welcome, however students specialising in the below areas are encouraged to apply.
|Research Areas||Research Areas Continued|
“sUNSWift has allowed me to step away from the ideal world we deal with in class and dive into real world problem solving. Being a part of sUNSWift has been the most rewarding experience I’ve had at UNSW- there aren’t many people who can say that they’ve built a car before graduating University!”
Courtney Morris, Sunswift Team Member - 4th Year Mechanical Engineering Student (2018)