Apply your coursework by designing and manufacturing a full-sized racing car! Compete with the team in Formula SAE – the largest student engineering design competition in the world!
About ChallENG Student Project
The Redback Racing team competes in Formula SAE/Formula Student competitions, which are designed to improve the quality of engineering graduates through practical experience. Students are challenged to apply the knowledge from their studies to the design and manufacture a full-sized racing car.
Formula SAE/Formula Student is the largest student engineering design competition in the world - every year, over 500 teams from multiple continents competing to win events around the world. Redback Racing competes against other leading universities from countries all over the world and placed 4th overall in the Formula SAE-A Competition (IC Class), 2018.
Who we are looking for
- Passionate students who are interested in learning and applying themselves to new challenges
- Students from all disciplines and years
Why you should join
- You’ll feel a great sense of achievement! Redback Racing designs, builds and races new vehicles every year, so students develop their work from a blank page to the racetrack
- Practical experience - build soft and technical skills in a supportive environment. An opportunity to test out your innovative ideas, while learning about concepts spanning multiple industries
- A great addition to your CV! Potential employers are very impressed by involvement in the competition, and many Redback Racers are now employed by major global companies
- Lifelong friendships and connections. The Redback Racing team is a happy, hardworking family and the Formula SAE culture fosters a close collegiate atmosphere across teams from many universities
- New skills and knowledge in: engineering design and manufacturing methods; race engineering fundamentals; vehicle suspension design; engine and drivetrain design; aerodynamic component design and CFD; electronics and control system design; software design; project management; event management; financial management; internal and external communications; marketing content creation and much more
“Joining Redback has allowed me to work in disciplines and with individuals that my courses would have never otherwise resulted in me collaborating with. The nature of this project ensures that I am continually driven to develop new skills in order to ensure that we remain competitive each year.
Indeed, this year’s work on our first electric drivetrain has pushed everyone in the team to reimagine what they thought was achievable. Though I could not have predicted it, the time I have dedicated to working in the lab and testing at the track with Redback has resulted in some of the most fulfilling experiences that I have had during my years at UNSW.”
Jason Lim, Team Leader of Redback Racing- 4th year Electrical Engineering/Business Commerce